Frequently Asked Questions

No. The law protects you if you make a claim and we will ensure the landlord is aware of the very grave consequences if they try to evict you because you make a claim.
Firstly, your landlord needs to be notified of the need for repairs. They are not under an obligation to repair it until they are made aware of the fault. Then they have a reasonable time in which to fix the problem (unless it's very urgent such as a broken boiler in which case they need to fix it immediately). The landlord is in breach of their duty after this period.
Yes, you are entitled to compensation for the period you have been inconvenienced or suffered after having given your landlord a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.
Yes, you can, but any money you owe your landlord will need to be taken into account on any settlement we make for you.
You can make a claim against a local authority landlord, housing association, private individual, a company, or a large commercial landlord.
No, it is imperative you continue to pay the rent in full and on time. You have a duty to pay the rent, and if you don't the landlord may be able to evict to you. However, we may be able to get your rent reduced or repaid for the period of your claim.
It all depends whether your landlord wants to defend or settle your claim quickly. As your lawyers we will encourage as early a resolution as possible, hopefully within weeks or a few months.
That all depends on the length of time you are claiming for and the extent of the damage to your property. We will try and negotiate a percentage of your weekly or monthly rent in accordance with caselaw. See the case law section for awards made in cases.
Firstly, we will write to your landlord setting out the need for repair asking them to sort out the problem within a specified time frame. If they don’t, we will instruct a specialist surveyor to draw up a report of the necessary repairs, present this to the landlord, and as a last resort, issue proceedings in the County Court, asking the court to order the landlord to carry out the necessary repairs and to award you compensation. We will only proceed with your claim if we are confident of success.
We take on the claim on a no-win no fee basis. That means we won't ask you for any money upfront. We will then incur court costs, and barrister fees if necessary, and the cost of a surveyor’s expert report. When we settle the case we hope to be awarded most of our costs and expenses or we will negotiate these, and if there is a shortfall we will discuss this with you at the time and agree a fee out of your compensation up to a maximum of 25% of damages awarded to you.
Hodari Housing is a part of Antony Hodari Solicitors who have been established since 1984. We are experts and have specialised in claiming compensation for over 30 years. We have a dedicated team of legal specialists and we work with expert surveyors and barristers. We will keep in touch regularly and ensure you are fully up-to-date and understand the process.